Monday, January 28, 2008

Joint Attention!

One of the major problems with kids who have ASD is joint attention (or the lack thereof). When a child points to a plane in the sky and looks at you and says, "plane!!!" (as Jack does), he is sharing his joint attention with you (directing your attention to the object that has his attention). Lili does look at whatever YOU point to, but does not reciprocate. We're working on that in her ABA program. The point: Tonight I was on the computer and her daddy called her upstairs. I was vaguely aware of his calling her and her heading up the stairs (but not giving it much attention). I hear "bye bye" (but it didn't register) then I hear, "mommy!" and I look back and she was standing there looking at me and she said (again) "bye bye". *gasp* She called to me! Now, mind you she calls me Mommy all the time...but to call my name to get my attention is new! The dilemma is: what form of therapy can we give credit to for this emerging milestone? MB-12 shots, anyone? These are shots with methylin/B12 vitamins in it that seem to help some ASD kids with their verbal skills (among a few other things). You are either a responder or not. She has had these shots for 6 weeks now. We have not seen a 180 change, but there are subtle but very important improvements. Is it the shots or is it the ABA she is getting? Its hard when you've got a few things going on at the same time and don't know which is working the most.
We're continuing the MB-12 shots for now...there is a protocol devised by a Dr. Neubrander in New Jersey that our DAN! (Defeat Autism Now!) doctor is having us follow. He has a website...but I'm not sure what it is. Google Neubrander and it'll come up. Lili does not like getting these shot (we do it on her little bottom). She gets a numbing cream and the needle is the shortest thinnest little needly I've ever seen. But she still cries. I hate to make her cry.:-/ Nothing a little hugging and kissing can't fix, though.

No comments: